While Thanksgiving dinner is the most celebrated Holiday in the US, the numbers of home cooking fires triples on this festive day, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
It is easy to get distracted while cooking Thanksgiving Dinner and entertaining your guests at the same time. In this article we discuss the 3 Common Fire Hazards and some safety steps landlords can share with teir tenants to reduce the risk of a fire in rental homes.
1. Cooking the turkey
Leaving the food unattended while cooking Thanksgiving dinner is the leading factor contributing to fires in homes. Check the stove and oven frequently and use a timer to keep track of cooking times.
For those using the oven and stovetops, remember to turn off the power when the cooking is done. Multiple dishes, pots, and pans can be going at the same time. It is not unusual to cook multiple dishes at once so the veggies are nice and crispy, the sauce simmers perfectly and of course, the turkey is golden. However, when removing a pot from the stovetop to pour it into a dish or setting the sweet potatoes on a tray, make sure that you turn the electrical burners off. Any utensils, towels or loose clothing in close contact with a heat source can catch on fire within seconds.
For those using a deep fryer, set up the deep fryer at least 10 feet away from the home on flat ground. Make sure children and pets remain clear from the area. Use a thawed turkey to avoid the extra spillover as the oil will bubble furiously with extra water from a frozen turkey. Never leave the deep fryer unattended and always make sure to have a fire extinguisher ready. You need to make yourself familiar with the extinguisher and teach your family members how to use it as well.
Everyone loves burning candles around the holidays. With friends and family coming over for Thanksgiving dinner, candles are great for decorations and really set the mood. However, if mishandled candles pose a serious risk of fire for the home. Most fires start because candles are usually forgotten. And while a candle is a beautiful decoration during the holidays, make sure to place them away from any flammable objects such as curtains or table cloths. Most importantly though, blow all the candles out when the party is over.
Today, people can find beautiful flameless candles with timers and remote controls. By using those, you eliminate the risk of any fires while keeping a beautiful setting at Thanksgiving dinner.
3. Outlet Overloads
Preparing a Thanksgiving dinner usually involves the use of multiple appliances like slow cookers, toaster ovens, food processors and mixers. Your overnight guests may also bring additional devices, chargers and hair dryers. Older homes may not have the wiring capacity to handle the increased amounts of appliances. In addition, using extension cords can increase the risk of danger as the extra power may cause the system to overload and cause an electrical fire. Make sure to unplug devices and small appliances when not in use to avoid any electrical surge in the homes.
On behalf of our Team at Stonelink Property Management, we wish you a safe and happy holiday season.